metaphor / met·uh·fawr/ noun - A literary figure of speech that uses an image, story or tangible thing to represent a less tangible or intangible thing, quality or idea.
meta / met·uh/ adjective - self-referential; referring to itself or its characteristics.

Monday, July 28, 2014

When words fail...

I have a love-hate relationship with numbers.

They represent concrete and unbending reality. They cannot be bent or twisted. They must be used properly or.

But... it's still possible to play around with them. I can have a little fun by combining them into pleasingly palindromic groupings, or gradual progressions, or arranging them in a way that tells a small story.

I hated math, but I enjoyed equations. I got As and Bs in my math classes, but I did so only because I spent every moment possible in the learning lab. The most ironic part of my math experience: I hated word problems.

But numbers are a good and necessary part of life.

And sometimes, just sometimes, they can cheer me up more than any words can.

Today is the day that my published posts outnumber my unfinished drafts. I was actually feeling really bummed out tonight because I just couldn't seem to figure out what to write about. None of my drafts looked particularly doable, and my brain was on the verge of shorting out.

Then I looked at my post number.

37 drafts
37 published

And tonight, that changes to 38 published posts. All because of the cheering effects of numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment