metaphor / met·uh·fawr/ noun - A literary figure of speech that uses an image, story or tangible thing to represent a less tangible or intangible thing, quality or idea.
meta / met·uh/ adjective - self-referential; referring to itself or its characteristics.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Priorities versus procrastination

Here I am again, struggling to make my midnight deadline, having started writing at 11:30 p.m.

This has got to stop.

The days of starting an assignment just hours before it is due should have stopped in college. Well, really I should never have gotten into that habit. But I found that I could do it; I had a strong knack for spewing out what I was learning in a short amount of time with proper grammar. So I rode on that knack for the majority of my college career.

But the problem of only starting just before the deadline is that it's never guaranteed you'll actually finish by the deadline. Furthermore, what happens when you find yourself without a clear deadline on a project you do eventually want to finish?

Yeah. This explains my many unfinished projects... It's clear that I have a deadline-dependency issue. Not that deadlines are a bad thing. It's just that in order for me to function, project-wise, I must set clear deadlines for myself lest I leave everything unfinished.

So it's good that this month-long blogging challenge has built-in deadlines.  One post a day is my only rule - whether or not it was written that day - as long as it wasn't written after that day. So my deadline resets at midnight every day.

I think my problem relates to how I prioritize. I seem to make the deadline priority over the actual work. I'm so focused on what the finished product should look like that I neglect to actually focus on the process. Typical idealist... always stuck in the past or future and never fully present in the moment.

So, I'm going to work on that, starting with noticing things that I do in the process of writing and changing bad habits while keeping the good ones.

It's a work in progress, but I think I'll get this writing thing figured out.

No deadline needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment