metaphor / met·uh·fawr/ noun - A literary figure of speech that uses an image, story or tangible thing to represent a less tangible or intangible thing, quality or idea.
meta / met·uh/ adjective - self-referential; referring to itself or its characteristics.

Friday, July 4, 2014

Come Thou Fount - My Ebenezer

Come Thou Fount is quickly becoming my favorite hymn. Not only do I have it memorized (a feat that I could previously only say about Amazing Grace), but I keep on finding new ways that it reminds me of my life.

Today's post is about verse two: 
Here I raise mine Ebenezer; hither by thy help I'm come;
and I hope, by thy good pleasure, safely to arrive at home. 
Jesus sought me when a stranger, wandering from the fold of God;
he, to rescue me from danger, interposed his precious blood
What is an Ebenezer, and why would I raise it? The answer comes straight out of the Bible. Remember that Sunday School lesson from children's church? The one about Samuel hearing God as a little child and telling Eli that his two disobedient sons would die? Well, it's a pity the teachers don't usually tell what happened next to complete his prophecy, because it's a fascinating story.

It begins in 1 Samuel 4, when the children of Israel brought the ark of the covenant to battle with them, believing that it would help them win against the Philistines. The Philistines quickly figured out that the ark was on the battlefield when the Israelites gave a loud shout of joy. Because of this, the Philistines fought even harder than before because they were so afraid of being killed by Israel's God.

So, of course, the Philistines won because they were trying, and the Israelites lost because they mistakenly thought that having the ark was an instant win.

The ark was then taken as spoils of war, and Eli's two sons who had brought it to battle were killed. The next two chapters describe what it was like for the Philistines to have the ark in their possession. TLDR: If you plan to steal and keep the Ark of the Covenant, you're gonna have a BAD time.

Finally fed up with the tumors and famine the ark was bringing them, the Philistines loaded it up onto a cart and sent it on its way back to Israel, where more shenanigans happened, but the ark eventually made its way back home, where it stayed another 20 years.

But Things weren't quite done yet with the Philistines, and Samuel called for the entire nation of Israel to turn back to God, destroying their idols and repenting, directing their hearts to serve God alone.
This was followed by another battle with the Philistines, which the Israelites won, and were able to drive the Philistines out of the nation's borders.

When all this was done, Samuel set up a stone between Mizpah and Shen, and named it Ebenezer, saying, “Thus far the Lord has helped us.”

So the story has a happy end and brings to the world a lovely concept.

But it was a hard lesson to learn.

Israel had idolized the ark, thinking that God's glory would follow it; not understanding that God's Glory was always in God's will, and God's will was for the nation to learn to trust in His will and not in their own plans.

God speaks to us in many ways, and one of the ways He's used throughout the years is symbolism. Representing a Kingdom concept with a tangible object does wonders for our flesh-based brains. Some of Jesus' most powerful messages were accompanied by physical works. Walking on the water, feeding five thousand, ordering Peter to use a shekel found in a fish to pay taxes... And, of course, everything he said and did during the Last Supper.

I find it appropriate, then, to use a tangible object to symbolize a concept in my own life.

Two years ago, on my 18th spiritual birthday, I went shopping with Jesus. Okay, I went shopping by myself, but since Jesus is in my heart, He was with me while I shopped. Anyway, I went to the mall with one goal in mind: find a special ring to represent my relationship with my Bridegroom, Jesus.

Not really a purity ring, but similar to a promise ring. But more than that, a ring to remind me of His continual grace and renewal in my life. A ring to symbolize in my heart that I have been spiritually circumcised, dead to sin but alive in Christ.

Sound familiar?

Little did I know it then, but Jesus sent me to that mall to get me an Ebenezer. A literal "stone of help" or "stone of remembrance" to wear on my finger and remind me of Him. I was just looking for a simple ring. I didn't expect it to have a stone... but when I saw it and tried it on, I just knew.

First, it was the teardrop shape, for the tears He cried in the garden. Second, it was the way it shone. Moonstone, if you are not familiar with it, reflects light in an unusual way. Instead of just glaring off of its surface, it looks as though the light is coming from within.

For the past two years, it has served as a reminder that my light always comes from Him, and He will always guide me to where I need to go. And when I worship to the familiar strains of Come Thou Fount, I literally raise my Ebenezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment