metaphor / met·uh·fawr/ noun - A literary figure of speech that uses an image, story or tangible thing to represent a less tangible or intangible thing, quality or idea.
meta / met·uh/ adjective - self-referential; referring to itself or its characteristics.

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Rooftop Musing - The freedom of fireworks



Why can't every night be like this?

Right now I'm enjoying a favorite pastime - hanging out on my roof. Tonight is particularly awesome because my neighbors are shooting off all of their leftover fireworks, so I get to see some pretty flashing lights as I relax under the moon and stars with a cool breeze blowing through my hair.

I am extremely lucky to have roof with a view.

I've never been afraid of heights, in fact I've always wanted to get higher. A large chunk of my childhood was spent doodling in sketchbooks while sitting on the highest weight-supporting branch I could find on the big evergreen tree in my backyard. And this tree was pretty high - more than twice the height of my childhood home. I could see two streets away.

I suppose the only thing limiting me from going as high as I want to is money and IQ. I could never be smart enough to be an astronaut, and skydiving is super expensive.

I suppose it's fitting that I like to watch fireworks from my roof, because both roofs and fireworks symbolize freedom to me.

Roofs are without the limits of walls. I am free to see as far as my eye will let me in any direction I look. I am above the eyes of others - no one ever looks up these days when there are smartphones to check.  I can come and go freely, directly from my bedroom window, and no one can stop me.

Fireworks are just plain awesomeness in a box - a box filled with explosives, that is. Not only do they have years of tradition and lore connecting them with the birthday of the U.S.A, but they actually do provide citizens with a sense of freedom from the law. No matter how strict the ordinances are about fireworks, policeman will in most cases turn a blind eye (metaphorically, because of course they enjoy watching them too!) to breach of ordinance unless the fireworks happen to start a fire and cause a public hazard. Kids who are normally coddled and kept away from fire get to hold it in their hands, waving it around and making patterns as it sparks mere inches from their delicate fingers. Teens who are beginning to get a sense of the rules of society find themselves able to bend the law... and their parents don't seem to mind.

You see, both situations contain an element of danger if not handled safely, yet both can be quite exhilarating experiences even if one is ultra careful.

Freedom is a bit like that, you know.
It's scary. It's exhilarating. You take your own life into your hands and every decision you make affects its quality and length.

So here's to taking risks every now and then.


No comments:

Post a Comment