metaphor / met·uh·fawr/ noun - A literary figure of speech that uses an image, story or tangible thing to represent a less tangible or intangible thing, quality or idea.
meta / met·uh/ adjective - self-referential; referring to itself or its characteristics.

Friday, July 11, 2014

Rooftop Musing - I can't stay up here forever

Another perk of my rooftop: I live close enough to the baseball stadium that I can see a partial view of the Wingnuts firework shows at the end of their home games. Summer is a wonderful time to have this rooftop perch.

Sometimes I wish that I could extend this roof-ness to the rest of my life. I would love to be able to look at the road of my life with a bird's eye view, so I could tell what lies ahead. A different perspective on that road could give me new insight on where to go from here.

But it's too tempting to just stay on the roof, watching, aloof from the regular citizens milling about below. I would pretend they were part of a strange alien civilization and study the patterns they made as they moved. I would be lulled into complacency by the constant caressing of the wind, the sweet susurrations of the trees, and the nearly perfect incline to lay upon and watch the distant stars.

It's kind of like my own personal paradise up there. Not completely, because a true paradise would have soft cushions and a few plants nestled about (If I lived in a castle, I would decorate the heck out of its highest tower), but close enough to paradise that I visit there quite often.

But I can't stay in paradise forever. I do eventually have to get down, for practical reasons, like eating, sleeping, working, actually going places and doing things. Likewise, I can't stay in that rooftop-view of my life. I can't watch people from afar, trying to look at the big picture, instead of coming down and interacting with them.

The roof is special to me, but to stay special I can't be up there all of the time. It's a wonderful place to regain some perspective if I've lost it, and clear my head if I've filled it with useless junk, but I have to come down some time.

Also, let's be honest, eventually my butt will get sore from sitting on the shingles for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment